Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Exuberance of Life



Funny, I find myself returning to repurposed items intended for children. Remembering those who've passed seems like the furthest thing from a child's mind, yet their very existence, their newness in this world seems to be the best way to remember those who have just left it. I think of the iconic Stork that supposedly brings us babies, and wonder if there's a connection to the birds who represent the souls of those who have passed.


I don't mean this to be morbid, or to cast a dark shadow on those brightest creatures in our lives. Yet I'm moved by any handmade or repurposed item that somehow brings the generations closer. For now, I've found Paisley and Posies's boutique on Etsy, and the exuberance of these images move me. These handmade beanies, tutus and other custom items contribute a portion of the proceeds to Susan G. Komen for the Cure. It's for a good cause, and a reminder of how precious life is.



No comments: