Friday, February 4, 2011

When this you see

After being inspired by 19th century memorial needlework, I asked Jessica Marquez of Miniature Rhino to create a special needlepoint. I already have a couple of her needlework constellations, which I adore.

And here's what she did! Don't you agree that the vintage-inspired stitching is absolutely gorgeous? Look at the detail of the flowers:

This piece is so sweet and versatile, with enough space for a special memento between the phrases Remember me/When this you see. Jessica included some thread for sewing on small tokens. Here's the needlepoint with a lock of my grandmother's hair:

And here it is with the Order of the Eastern Star pendant that belonged to my great-grandmother:

And finally, a sprig of lavender that my mother gave to me:

This sentimental needlepoint is handmade, and can be passed on between generations, giving us a lovely opportunity to remember those we love every time we see it. It also would make an awesome gift. Thanks Jessica!

Follow my blog with bloglovin


Dark Squirrel Victoria said...

Nice little hoop samplers :) Great project for in impatient like me.

Victoria ♥

Lenette said...

Love love love this idea. The simplicity and beauty almost brought tears to my eyes. Will keep this in mind for a future project. Thanks for sharing.

Sister Shirley said...

Thank you very much! I have always loved Victorian mourning needlework, and thought it was a shame that nothing like that existed now. The only thing that comes close are prayer shawls.

knitlit kate said...

p.s. what a thought-provoking blog concept. death is a part of life...and should be celebrated in its own way. thanks for your warm and decidedly postmodern light on what many consider to be too dark a subject to contemplate.

⧓Bahj/fish⧓ said...


I really love this post.very simple and elegant.I love it.

style odyssey said...

A lovely idea. It's beautiful, thoughtful, sentimental.

Happy birthday back to you! And I really didn't grow up w/ green birthday cakes, but cards, decorations and balloons were always green. (My traditional birthday cake was and still is German chocolate w/ coconut pecan icing. Weird child that I was!! It's what I always requested.)
I hope you have a lovely St. Patrick's b'day! xoxo